You Are Reading

21

Hearing isn't listening.

Dootzkie Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Have you ever noticed that people don't listen what you are saying, but only hear that you are making some noise and are interested more in it's intonation.

There is a theory that no one actually ever listens to anyone. We just hear what we think the other party said. I ask you, if we only here one fraction of the sounds that surround us, would it not be possible that out of that fraction, our brains ignore even more. Isn't it possible that the source of our imagination at one point in our lives is fed up with the things he hears and starts whispering his versions of the story to us. "Fuck it all! I'll tell this soul what I want"

Charles de Gaulle had a funny idea once. At a formal dinner with all the dignitaries from all the countries as well as from his own he was at the door, with his wife, greeting them.
~Good evening. Today I killed my mother in law - said Charles.
~Good evening, mister de Gaulle. Good to hear that.

No one noticed but one security guard. Guess he was programmed to hear "kill" so if Charles didn't once confirm that he did tell this to people, we couldn't have been sure.

No one listened to him...

Do you listen or do you hear?

21 comments:

Dejch said...

depends on a situtation but mostly i hear :)

Nope said...

I hear, no way do I listen. I always find myself responding to things stupidly or even asking 'what?' before realizing what the person said.

BigMike said...

I do both, and I consciously switch back and forth. ;)

brn said...

yeah, no need to lie... i normally just hear heh

Mercurio said...

I think most of the time, when situation doesn't seems to relevant y only listen a 5% of what's being said.

Doro said...

It depends... But it's true, we sometimes listen and sometimes only hear (especially at school/college). It's some kind of sorting informations.

Kicking Rocks said...

i listen.....if not detail passes by

Max Power said...

Funny story there. I try my best to listen at all times. In a lot of ways I can't help it, I'm sincerely interested in what other people say, not matter how mundane or arbitrary.

duffboi said...

The mind probably does do its share of filtering. But unless I'm really distracted by some other thought, I do make an effort to listen.

Nom de Plume said...

lol no way that CdG story is true!

Dave said...

I mostly listen but sometimes I dont hear.

AllenTesch said...

Sadly, I'd have to say I just hear.

D4 said...

I'm pretty sure I listen most of the time. Not always though, for sure.

D. said...

I try to listen to people I care about when they need me. But.. yeah, I think I mostly hear.

Radux said...

Depends on the people that talk to me.
Mostly I just "hear" to my mother, for example :D

Aurelia Silverlight said...

I like that. I normally just "hear" my mother. Cannot stand the bloody woman. Haha.

Al3xaG said...

I mostly listen thats why people annoy me with their stuff all the time so I just hear when they start to bore me.

123 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ed said...

i dont think its true, we just dont care

Anonymous said...

I do a mix of both and I think everyone does hahaah

Insider33 said...

Good observation.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Bite Size Thoughts