You Are Reading

18

To Know - Gnostics

Dootzkie Thursday, March 31, 2011
While I did already define their counterparts, I will try to explain what being a gnostic means without using the "opposite of agnostic" argument. Also, before I start, a small disclaimer - being a gnostic doesn't mean being religious!

Gnostic:
~Core belief: To Know is not only possible but achievable or already achieved! From this possible pool of knowledge self awareness is removed, at least while I am writing about it simply because we logically determined that that is something that everyone can know and be aware of.
~What a gnostic should believe in: Faith is of less importance to him then to an agnostic.
Now you are thinking "WTF am I talking about?!" but think about it. Gnostic knows somethings is there. As knowledge is to be consciously aware of a fact with ultimate certainty.. gnostic doesn't need to believe in anything that he knows is true. Only thing that he can believe in is the interpretation of that knowledge. Otherwise, that ultimate knowledge is either ultimate and not dependent on faith or it's not ultimate and therefor not knowledge but an assumption.
~What's the issue then with gnostics? - aka Why do people think that agnosticism gives them some moral high ground?

Now this is where the fun actually starts! The issue many have with gnostics today can be represented not with what they believe in, but what they exclude as a possibility, apart from the idea their system is flawed.

This problem has nothing to do with To Know process, people! This problem is connected to bipolar process of thought trapped in a world of an idea that only one answer is correct.
In practice this means that people mostly look for an answer to something in a predetermined patter of option A or option B. And since there can be only one right answer that means that A is aB and B is aA (theists and atheist, gnostic and agnostic). So much are people trapped in this that today it's not possible to provide an alternative for then both sides will think you exclude their options and you will find your self under the attack from both A and B.

Agnostics exclude the possibility that anything is right, gnostics that nothing is right, atheists exclude the idea that there is a higher power, theists exclude the idea of an universe without a higher power - all fine and dandy.

All the problem arise when then want to exclude, cancel and delete others and this problem is derived from the bipolar way of thinking and the unilateral logic.

Think about it! Think what you have done and learn from it! Think what you will do and prepare for it!

18 comments:

Insider33 said...

I consider myself to be Agnostic and I think that your post is fairly accurate.

Mu said...

Hmm.. this reminds me of a friend who likes to suggest people to me who can answer any "questions" I have. and of another friend who seems to be on an endless quest for knowledge of various spiritual how to's.

It's bugged me recently reading the posts about the different terms and not knowing what label I fell under. Thanks to your in depth analysis on each of the terms I think I've figured it out :P

I'm definitely agnostic.

Yet, if I firmly believe that a firm belief of any faith is a waste, then... paradox?

I dunno. Perhaps I'm an envious agnostic. When I see people who are passionate about their "rock-solid" belief system - I don't say anything usually, but I feel it's a big game to them when they act as if it's completely impossible to accept the possibility that their beliefs may be incorrect.

Maybe somewhere deep down I wish I believed in some higher power as they do, but the 'expect the worst' in me depicts that while there's a possibility I'll further along on my spiritual journey (not to mention the loss of self as I know it), I have to accept the possibility that it's all an imagined comfort fantasy to nurture some emotional hole in my biological neuron fired psyche.

Excuse me while I go listen to muse - megalomania and sulk in the dark. :)

Jay said...

interesting post considering your previous one on agnosticism.

Bremsy said...

I'm agnostic and i had a nice read thanks...

Unknown said...

i think i am agnostic

Nope said...

I have to call myself agnostic but I'm studying religion at a decent level, I find it very interesting. Nice post, and very nice looking blog.

-M- said...

I had a nice read and I won't exclude, delete or cancel the possiblity of reading your posts again.

dende said...

I always thought, being a gnostic means being religious...

Dootzkie said...

Gnosticism is almost always connected with religion because one of the basis things that religions do provide is their magnus opus gnosis that we call as dogma. A knowledge given to people by a god over or just a prophet.

Pure meaning of the word one the other hand has been forgotten which is funny because today it's very much so needed.

In the ending post of To Know series I will explain my faith, my beliefs that many would consider to be too different to belong under one roof :D

thanks for the comments, folks
;)

Electric Addict said...

interesting post. i believe it is better to have an open mind to all sorts of perspectives to eliminate as much human bias as possible.

Wayward Disposition said...

Dootz, you're posts always get me thinking. Thinking about things that I would never have come across in my every day life. I love studying religion, but have never heard of this.

D22 Zone said...

Love your blog style! Keep up the great work!

David said...

This is a good post, you explained a lot that I never knew about gnostics.

Unknown said...

I don't like such divisions.

Bahb said...

me too dende

Slamcakes said...

Thanks for the facts, I never knew there was such a thing as being gnostic, I only knew of agnostics

Unknown said...

This is a very interesting point. I think we could benefit from studying Eastern philosophy. Their notion of opposites being two parts of the same thing in this case.
That is to say, gnostics require the existence of agnostics.
Advocating certainty of a fact implies there can exist uncertainty of a fact.
Ah duality, how would we know what we are without you.

Anonymous said...

There was a funny description of gnosticism by a nobel prize, he said "what do I believe? if you want the short answer, I'm an atheist, if you want the long answer, I'm agnostic."

There should be a new stance to religion, those who stopped caring.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Bite Size Thoughts